The past few weeks of my life have been consumed by a single order. A big one. A customer asked for a complete interior design. This would tie together the OEM gauges, the HVAC cluster, and his AEM analog gauges.
That’s right. AEM gauges. I can now make custom faces for them!
For those who might not be aware, AEM now carries a complete line of analog gauges. And they’re designed to have the faces and bezels customizable by the user. You get both black and white faces and black and silver bezels. Pretty slick, eh?
I’ve often wondered how these AEM gauges would be to design for. It turns out, they’re not bad at all. The one tricky piece is that little needle stopper post, but I was able to deal with it. My die cutter can cut fine enough to get the hole most of the way there, and then I finish off with an X-acto knife. Same procedure as the rest of my gauges.
The AEM faces are designed to be a little more… robust? than your average, everyday OEM gauge face. Very strong plastic and no need for care when touching them without gloves on. So, I made these to be similarly robust. I covered the front with the same semi-gloss layer that I use on my HVAC panel. I’m not saying that you could play frisbee with them, but they’re pretty darn strong and can hold up to repeated install-removal cycles.
To finish off the OEM and AEM gauge sets, I made a custom HVAC panel in the same style. It was really a collaborative effort between me and the owner of all these new parts. I came up with a few ideas, but I can only take about 50% of the credit. Things like this really work best when you’ve got someone to bounce ideas off of. And, if I say so myself, this panel came out awesome.
And I’m not sure if I’ve ever photographed the HVAC panel packing sheets. This all goes in a custom-fit baggy to protect it from any weather it might encounter in the shipping process. I think it looks rather spiffy. Need to update it with my new logo though…
And finally, some shots of the OEM gauges in my stunt cluster!
So there it is. Two weeks of work condensed into a few paragraphs and 10 photos. But I’m really proud of my work here. It is one of the largest projects I’ve ever taken on, and it came out beautifully.
Maybe I need some of those fancy AEM gauges for Sharka…