A really smart guy named Dan who posts on ClubRoadster came up with this really cool upper shock mount (known in the biz as a tophat) that lets you slam the hell out of a Miata while retaining full suspension travel. I’ve lusted after them for months. I finally bought and installed a set. As you can see above, it went well. Read on for the full install.
Here’s a shock before removal and modification with the dp6061 tophats. Notice the threaded portion and how far up the spring collars sit. This gave me about 12.5″ ride height. It was not really very low.
The rear shock next to the dp6061 tophat. I’ve already got the TEIN pillowball tophats, but they don’t allow for much
extra shock travel. The new ones? Two INCHES of extra travel. That’s a lot.
I put the shocks together without springs to see how much suspension travel I’d get. The upper a-arm hit the frame before the bumpstop made contact. Doh! I fixed this by swapping the TEIN bumpstop for a trimmed stock NB bumpstop.
Viola. A trimmed NB bumpstop. There’s still a possibility for frame contact, but the bumpstop needs a good squish before that happens. If it becomes an issue, I’ll just trim the frame.
Notice how far down the spring collar has to go now. Yikes!
I had to use a TEIN collar to make up some space above the tophat. Fortunately, I had some rattling around my garage.
THIS is the best suspension swap tip I can give! Leave the little insulating collar where you can see it! In my excitement, I left it off of both sides and only remembered to put it back on when I looked down and saw it on the lower a-arm. Fortunately, it didn’t require much work to remove the shock and install the insulator at that point.
That’s a low rear. We call that fender tuck. That’s right around 10.5″ ride height. I raised it 3/4 of an inch after shooting this.
The front just got lowered without any other changes. I’ll swap the TEIN pillowballs to the front soon enough. I just want to make sure the dp6061 tophats work out before doing extra work. Like turning on the computer before closing up the case.
This is my new ground clearance. The old ground clearance, which I brilliantly did NOT photograph, was right around the top of the can.
A million thanks to dp6061 for making this slammage possible.