I’ve been waiting for just the perfect weekend to put on Sharka 2’s new stripes. It’s been either too cold or too windy for over a month now. The sun finally came out and the wind slowed to a breeze and I went to work. This is the 4th time I’ve done a full stripe install on a Miata. It gets easier every time. This time, I had enough sanity left duing the process to take a few pix.
I thought the lightbox image viewer thingy would be the best way to show them off. Click through the thumbnails below to see the stripes appear on the car. You can page through all of them without closing by clicking the prev and next links.
And that’s it! Stripes in 12 easy thumbnails. All you need is a little determination, a lot of soapy water, a tape measure, and some OCD.
Here’s my top 5 stripe tips.
- It’s WAY easier to lay out stripes individually rather than all together with a backing.
- There’s no need to mark the center line for the entire car. Just measure at both ends of each panel. I like to use post-its to mark those places.
- A big spray bottle with 2 drops of Dawn is just the thing for keeping vinyl from sticking right away.
- Don’t set your heat gun too close to your spray bottle and accidentally melt it.
- Measure. Often. Many times.
To think it’s only been 6 months since I’ve driven a stripey Sharka…. seems like years.