Continuing from my last post, here’s the full, finished interior.
Sorry for breaking this up into two posts. I really don’t like when sites do that. There were just too many pix for one by itself. I try to limit a post to about 30 photos. Total, there are 56 pix of my new dash…
I was not shy with the shutter button.
I am going to be shy with the text here. This post is all about the photos. I’ll add a few thoughts at the end of each section. Really, it’s just me gushing about how happy I am. And that’s not very interesting blogging, is it, precious? No, precious, it isn’t.
Thoughts: It’s as good as it looks. The fit is dead on and all of my work carving tiny bits out of the leather to get all of the panels to fit right was worth it. Not one rattle, not one squeak. Now, that may change with the weather, but for right now, it’s incredible.
In my many years with Miatas, I’ve never really paid much attention to the subtle differences between the NA8 dash (all I’ve ever known) and the NA6 dash (pictured above). When I’d look at interior photos, I just saw an NA Miata interior. Now that I’ve spent a year getting to know the details intimately, I can’t believe I didn’t notice them before.
And the leather. OMG, the leather! It’s incredibly rich and decadent. And not at all shiny. I only have a reflection from the gauge cowl hood now. Well, and a tiny one from the defroster mesh.
The Crash Pad / Gauge Pod
This is close to the view I have. I sit a bit farther back and lower. The only gauge that is somewhat obscured by the bezel is the voltmeter. A sliver of the dial is hidden to my eyes in my driving position.
I’m rather embarrassed that I didn’t get a good angle of the gauges as I see them while driving. I sure shot every other angle.
The angle of this photo makes the seam look like it’s going down the middle of that small pad. It’s not. It’s going around the edge that touches the door. I couldn’t get a decent pic of the stitching. Alas.
Thoughts: I’ve been looking down by my radio to see my auxiliary gauges for a long time. 8 years? 10 years? A long time. It’s gonna be hard to get used to looking over toward the crash pad to see them.
I was worried they would be farther from my field of vision way over there, but they’re really not. They are in a better location than down by the radio. I can glance over and back faster than I can glance down and up. But it’s still not perfect. The best place would be either mounted on the gauge cowl or in an A-pillar gauge pod. However, I don’t like either of those mounting styles, so I did this.
Did I mention the leather? I’m so pleased I got the crash pad covered. I think I need to do my door toppers next.
The Center Console / Tombstone
Thoughts: I’ve already pressed that lighter in once while trying to start the car. That habit won’t be easy to break. My starter button has been there for 10 years.
This whole cluster required some planning. It is the reason my dash swap post is showing up in September rather than last May. I got those crash pad gauge cups and was suddenly left with no idea of what to put above or below my radio. 3 more gauges? A cubby box? A flat panel? Some transforming robots? I thought about this for MONTHS before the starter button and clock idea hit me. And I’m really happy I didn’t just throw in the dash and leave this zone as an afterthought to be finished later. Doing everything at once was way satisfying.
The radio is pretty sweet. It’s sufficiently loud and looks better than anything modern. It’s a little more blingy than I expected. The photos on the Retrosound site make it look a lot more subtle. But it’s okay. And if I get sick of the chrome, I can just buy another surround and different knobs and swap them out. The radio is very customizable.
The chrome radio bothered me. It didn’t take me a week to rip into Sharka’s interior again and start working on making things right. Check out what I did. It’s a small change, but very worth the effort.