I acquired a new steering wheel for my collection the other week. But this post is not about that. I’ll have a post dedicated to that beauty soon. This post is about the wild idea I had when trying to figure out storage for my steering wheel collection.
See, I’d been using a shelf in the garage. The wheels were all protected in their original Momo and Nardi boxes, but they were still out in the garage. Not the best place for such beautiful objects. And definitely not where I wanted to store my new M2 steering wheel. It is such a piece of art.
And that’s when the idea hit me. Art. It deserves to hang on the wall.
I wandered the aisles of several craft stores with one of my unmounted Momos in my hand. I test fit it in shadow boxes until finding the right size, depth, and backing color. And price. I was very pleased to find these on uber-discount.
For wheel mounting hardware, I hit my local True Value Hardware. The one near my house has a nearly-magical selection of random bolts. And indeed they had just the bolts to fit my wheels and mount them to the boards. Two of my wheels have exposed screws and three have screws hidden under trim pieces. So I needed about 18 bolts total to take care of the four cases.
6 holes are drilled in the backing of each display case in the correct Momo pattern. The box with my Nardi wheel has both hole patterns drilled. The Nardi will always have to be returned to this same case, but the Momos can be swapped among all of the cases. Two bolts secure each steering wheel to the case with speed-nuts on the back side. The other four bolts are just poked through the backing to give a finished look.
I then cut out a 2″ hole in the padded backing with a hole saw. This gives room for the guts of the horn buttons to stick out the back of the frame. The horn buttons themselves are secured with standard Momo mounting rings that normally go between the hub and the wheel itself. It works great for my little display cases. The buttons stay in place, but are easy to remove when it’s time to swap wheels.
Finally, I replaced the crappy frame mounting hardware that came with the shadow boxes with some eye-hooks and wire rated to 50 lbs. God willing, they will stay secured on that wall.
They live in my loft. I went to a lot of effort to assure the wheels were easy to remove from their cases. I want them to look good on display, but more than that I want to USE them! Taking a case down from the wall and swapping the wheel in it for the one in my car takes very little effort. And that’s how it should be.
If anyone out there reading this has ever done anything similar, I’d love to hear from you! Google was of zero help for this project. I came up with this whole thing on my own. I hope it helps inspire some other wheel nuts.